Author Topic: Traveler  (Read 31892 times)

Alma

• P323
    • View Profile
    • GeneSmithStudio
  • Model: P323
  • Vessel Name: ALMA
  • City: Forked River, NJ
  • State: NJ
Re: Traveller
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2014, 08:21:51 PM »
That is sweet! My original mainsheet broke at the joint where the mainsheet and cam attach to the traveler car. It happened on a calm day while motoring. I saw the boom swing to port and WT...

Then I realized the mainsheet hardware had parted! The day before we were on a spirited sail in the ocean and it seemed fine! That's good Karma for sure.

The attachment point is a stainless steel pin about the size of an 8-32 screw! It's spooky.

I really like that Garhauler setup. They make nice gear and their customer service is fantastic.

Dolce_Vita

• P323
    • View Profile
    • S/V Dolce Vita
  • Vessel Name: Dolce Vita
  • City: Pasadena
  • State: MD
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2014, 10:51:08 PM »
Beautiful result!  And I like the "port & stbd" red/green lines! Nice touch.

The whole unit looks solid & bulletproof.  Hope the sea trials go well.

Now that Garhauler has done one for a 323, what are the chances that they retained the measurements and could roll out additional ones on order without requiring the original track to work from?
@(^.^)@  Ed
1977 P-323 #42 "Dolce Vita"
with rebuilt Atomic-4

Vantage

• P323
  • P323 Idiot Savant
    • View Profile
  • Vessel Name: Coral Rae
  • City: LaSalle
  • State: MI
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2014, 01:27:56 PM »
Beautiful result!  And I like the "port & stbd" red/green lines! Nice touch.

The whole unit looks solid & bulletproof.  Hope the sea trials go well.

Now that Garhauler has done one for a 323, what are the chances that they retained the measurements and could roll out additional ones on order without requiring the original track to work from?

I was able to order the exact same set up from Garhauer based on Selene's order. It took them a day to find the specs. I ordered traveller/track system, new main sheet system, boom vang, e-z Glide Adjustable Genoa system and swivel jammer, and bunch more hardware.

I ordered about 2 1/2 weeks ago.

Craig
« Last Edit: April 28, 2014, 03:56:38 PM by Vantage »

selene

• P323
  • Mighty Member
    • View Profile
  • Vessel Name: Selene
  • City: Redwood City
  • State: CA
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2014, 06:09:12 PM »
The mainsheet system will be interesting. FYI the model I ordered was the MT-2CT-TP. 

The traveller car is a tight fit in the recess - I rather held my breath (even though I had measured it half a dozen times), but it does fit with a bit over 1/8" clearance on each side.  Incidentally, I asked that the track be extended by 4" on each side compared to the original.  After the useful post from Dolce Vita on the original setup, I realised that the gap between the track and the cockpit sides was no longer necessary, and I wanted as long a run as possible, while still leaving a 1" gap for drainage.

I also ordered the 40-2 2-speed vang block for the mainsheet. Perhaps that will be a folly, we'll see; it does offer more mechanical advantage than the original, but has the added complexity of two lines to get used to. I may also want to add a sprint to help the bottom block "stand up" - we'll see.

When I recover from wallet shock (I also had to replace the Schaefer furler lower bearing, and am making my own "blade" foresail!!) I also have the Garhauer rigid boom vang on the list...

Darn that adjustable genoa system looks sweet.  It would mean I could adjust the jib car without standing in the water (it gets windy here in summertime) :-)

Paul
« Last Edit: April 28, 2014, 06:17:49 PM by selene »

Dave

• P323
  • P323 hull #376
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2014, 04:34:17 PM »
That looks very nice and much more functional.

Has anyone researched moving the traveler and main sheet to the cabin top? I would like to eventually enclose the cabin and would prefer to have all of it out of the cabin.
Dave

adventurer, ex-hippy, good timer, (crook? quite possibly), manic self-publicist, terribly bad at personal relationships, often thought to be completely out to lunch

selene

• P323
  • Mighty Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2014, 10:15:08 AM »
Definitely doable - especially as the P323 has a relatively short boom, which has always seemed overbuilt to me (which I like), so the stresses on it would appear to be acceptable.

Garhauer manufacture travellers for Catalina, and we have a number of boats in our marina with similar travellers mounted on the cabin top, so I know that they could easily build one for you.  You may also want to look at the projects page on this site, as it has a description of a similar setup, complete with photos (http://www.pearson323.com/projects/traveler.pdf).  Overall it looks like a fairly straightforward mod.

Dave

• P323
  • P323 hull #376
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2014, 10:07:50 PM »
That is a nice mod. This is on my list of things to do. It will make winter sailing a lot nicer.
Dave

adventurer, ex-hippy, good timer, (crook? quite possibly), manic self-publicist, terribly bad at personal relationships, often thought to be completely out to lunch

Libations Too

• P323
    • View Profile
  • City: Berkelely, CA
« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2014, 08:27:05 PM »
Selene, a very nice job indeed!

As to moving the traveler to the cabin top on the 323 I think it has some real advantages, as other posters have noted. However, I also think it comes with some disadvantages, especially when sailing singlehanded and when in high or gusty winds. The original traveler and mainsheet control offers the advantage of quick and easy release or easing of the main. If you need to dump the main in order to maintain boat control in a gust or ease the main until the traveler can be adjusted the existing setup is great...and it can be accomplished while at the wheel as long as one has the mainsheet in one hand (singlehanded). It seems to me that a cabin top traveler with main sheet winch and rope clutch arrangement on the cabin top would be a problem for a singlehanded sailor...unless one has a trustworthy, below-deck autopilot so that your "helm" position is forward of the wheel. My wheel pilot works great most of the time but when in close quarters with other boats and in high or gusty winds I tend to hand steer and I find that having the mainsheet in my hand for quick release is important.
Richard

Vantage

• P323
  • P323 Idiot Savant
    • View Profile
  • Vessel Name: Coral Rae
  • City: LaSalle
  • State: MI
« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2014, 10:08:27 AM »
My original intent was to move the traveler to the cabin top and use a mid boom sheeting arrangement. The cost of using Garhauer equipment was not significantly more than the just replacing the existing traveler configuration as I did. But in the end I decided to leave the design as Bill Shaw intended. I also left the halyard winches on the mast and the reefing system alone for the same reason. Replacing worn out equipment is one thing, but design changes need to be considered very carefully. Just my opinion. Mac

Alma

• P323
    • View Profile
    • GeneSmithStudio
« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2014, 10:09:06 AM »
I agree with leaving stock (but improved) traveler and boom hardware as designed. What about the old traveler? We know the loads on mid sheeted booms are much higher than ours with the associated safety concerns. Would new mid-boom hardware foul the dodger?

I believe I've seen mid-boom retrofits on a 323. We're lucky that our coachroof is strong to begin with and the underside accessible for the reinforcement that would be necessary. What is the up-side of concentrating and transferring the sheeting loads to the coachroof? I see myself tripping over a recently added traveler rail inches above the coachroof where I used to glide back into the cockpit. That's a nasty face-plant four feet below...

I don't mind the fact that my ALMA doesn't have any lines led to the cockpit. I've seen problems with lines running through multiple turning blocks, "organizers" and stoppers when sailing on other yachts. I prefer simplicity and knowing what a line does before I adjust it. A line coming from the masthead to the mainsail halyard winch on the mast is pretty difficult to mistaken for a mainsheet or the outhaul. Not-so when a spagetti of lines terminate on the coachroof and a quick adjustment is necessary... Sure YOU may know what is what- but if a mate needs to act quickly it could result in the WRONG line loosened at just the worst moment.

All those turning blocks and "organizers" create friction that increases wear on the new hardware and the 40 year old hardware that now needs to double it's effort to accommodate improvements.

We are free to modify and change Bill Shaw's well thought out design at will.

The multitude of filled fastener holes where the now obsolete "space-age" hardware added by enthusiastic owners was removed from some 323's is a testament to "KISS".

Keep it Simple Sammy!

« Last Edit: May 14, 2014, 10:22:18 AM by Alma »

selene

• P323
  • Mighty Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 17, 2014, 08:43:12 PM »
Quick update: Had the new Garhauer traveller for a few months now.  It is working *extremely* well so far. I was out in 20knots+ wind the other day with full main (testing new 80% blade!) - yet I could adjust the traveller with minimal effort, despite the heavy load.  With my old traveller that would not have been the case!  It tempts providence to be too effusive, but in short it is overbuilt yet works smoothly, and easy trimming of the traveller is enhancing my enjoyment of the boat!

Sea Haven

« Reply #26 on: August 22, 2014, 02:17:37 PM »
Plan to visit with Garhauer Marine at the show in Newport in several weeks.

Looking to get a show price for the traveller right there!

However, have a question regarding ALMA's posting....

You'll need to reverse the midships hatch to open towards the stern to accommodate the vang.

Though I'm NOT going with a Vang, Rigid or otherwise, I am ordering a Boomkicker this weekend from Defender (on sale).
The PO set up a pig tail off the Back Stay as opposed to a topping lift, a real pita. Also, I'm not into rigging a TL to be honest. so the 'kicker seems good for me.
It obviously presents the same issue as a rigid vang.

Is it difficult to reverse the midships hatch? Though I never looked that closely at it's mounting, for some reason it gives me the impression of being a "press fit".

"Sub" Ed

selene

• P323
  • Mighty Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 22, 2014, 06:31:28 PM »
Reversing the hatch is generally a relatively quick straightforward job, as (like many of the other fittings) a pretty basic silicon caulking was used to seal it.  There are some good descriptions on the site. 

Basically unscrew, gently pry off, clean off old caulking (tedious), rotate, and refit with either new caulking or butyl tape.

See http://www.pearson323.com/forum/index.php/topic,132.0.html

Alma

• P323
    • View Profile
    • GeneSmithStudio
« Reply #28 on: August 25, 2014, 01:56:35 PM »
Selene is correct. I mentioned the hatch only because of the frustration of reversing the hatch in lousy weather when installing the rigid vang. I've found the hatch flange rarely leaks. Nor does my 12 year old hatch gasket. My occasional leaks come when it is time to re-bed the plastic in the lid.

There is an outside chance the BoomKicker will clear the hatch with the Boomkicker's unique arc. Dry fit it before you mess with removing the hatch. You may find as we do, an aft facing hatch is nice. European boats do not have forward opening hatches at all. They are all aft facing so as not to be ripped away by a wave.

The Boom Kicker may not support the boom and your weight. That could be trouble in a seaway dropping sail.
I'd test and rely on a stout topping lift along with the 'Kicker.

My Gaurhauler rigid vang will support the boom (and me) without a topping lift. I needed to add a PVC pipe "spacer" within the telescoping section to insure the vang would stop the boom from falling all the way to the coachroof. Gaurhauler will provide extra springs to do the same thing but I was in a rush to finish.

I too have the line with snap shackle to the back stay. I also use a topping lift. When I replaced my wire to rope halyards I had the shop make me a hardy topping lift from one of the old halyards. I can bet my life on it when dropping sail off-shore alone. An experienced sailor told me the side load generated on the backstay from the snap shackle line is troublesome for the backstay. I'm not sure it is an issue. I do not use it for the boom but it is essential for my canopy and my backstay flagstaff.

I remove my topping lift completely while sailing and tie it to a cleat mounted on the backstay. That prevents chafe of the mainsail roach. I forgot it once before I had the rigid vang and my friend broke a rib under it when I "cut" the halyard.

"Thank God we didn't crack the coachroof- Your rib will heal"!

It was a nasty injury that bothered him almost a year!

Trouttfish

• P323
  • Pearson Yacht Enthusiast
    • View Profile
  • Vessel Name: Kropka
  • City: Tampa
  • State: FL
Re: Traveler
« Reply #29 on: May 14, 2018, 08:56:52 AM »
I have remove my traveler, shipped it to Garhauer Marine in CA, and am now awaiting the arival of my new traveler which should come at the beginning of next month. Thank you all for the input about Garhauer. I’ll let you know how my install goes after I receive the new one!