Author Topic: Board Suggestion: Pearson 323 Owners Map  (Read 55796 times)

The Great Godsea

• P323
    • View Profile
  • Model: P323
  • Vessel Name: The Great Godsey
  • City: New Rochelle
  • State: NY
Re: Board Suggestion: Pearson 323 Owners Map
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2013, 11:02:13 AM »
regarding the view only issue. somehow the permissioning got changed back to view from edit. i fixed it and saved it again so hopefully everyone should have editing access now.

Dolce_Vita

• P323
    • View Profile
    • S/V Dolce Vita
  • Vessel Name: Dolce Vita
  • City: Pasadena
  • State: MD
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2013, 11:03:55 AM »
regarding the view only issue. somehow the permissioning got changed back to view from edit. i fixed it and saved it again so hopefully everyone should have editing access now.

It works now. :D   
@(^.^)@  Ed
1977 P-323 #42 "Dolce Vita"
with rebuilt Atomic-4

The Great Godsea

• P323
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2013, 11:05:28 AM »
most excellent.

Sea Haven

« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2013, 01:24:26 PM »
Nice to "sea" it was taken to heart!

Already working for me as I note Great Godsea is only some 55 or so Nautical Miles from me.

We like to hit the west end of Long Island Sound as much as the east end. Nothing beats cruising Manhattan.
Our favorite marina is the Worlds Fair Marina in Flushing Meadow. We go at least once a year and catch the Met's at CitiField.
Walk off the boat, cross the parking lot, enter the Ballpark and watch your team, head back and spend the night. Nothing beats it.
Friendliest Marina crew I ever met too.

We have friends down in Staten Island I plan to visit one day.

Also want to participate in the Around Long Island Regatta. Heck your close enough to the start off the Rockaway's you can beat us there!!

Anyway, this is a great start, let's get others to jump in!

"Sub" Ed
SV Sea Haven

The Great Godsea

• P323
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2013, 04:43:23 PM »
hey those are some great ideas! i'm hoping (fingers crossed) to make my first overnight run this weekend down to sandy hook/highlands. weather looks promising and its not getting any warmer so... i'm going to strike while the iron is hot.
perhaps next summer, once i'm a little less wet behind the ears, we'll take a stab at getting through hells gate out into the sound and maybe over to fire island... or even out to Newport?

regards, Mark

Dolce_Vita

• P323
    • View Profile
    • S/V Dolce Vita
Post 1000
« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2013, 05:20:45 PM »
Mark,

Congratulations!  You just made post # 1000 to this forum!
@(^.^)@  Ed
with rebuilt Atomic-4

The Great Godsea

• P323
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2013, 05:32:50 PM »
hey awesome! maybe i'll get some positive Karma

Captain Bri

• Brian
  • Ensign
  • Sailmaker
    • View Profile
    • RedSkySails.com
  • Model: Ensign
  • City: Anytown
  • State: Ct
« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2013, 09:02:20 PM »
Nice work on the map!  I can add a nav link to the website but we may want to experiment/test the map features a bit more first. It looks like we have a good group of early adopters to test things out. For example we can define new "standard" data fields that we think would be useful and use the titles to provide guidelines on what information to enter.  As an example I added a column for Yacht Club/Marina to see if people like it.     

Men and Ships; Rot in Port

The Great Godsea

• P323
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2013, 09:20:42 AM »
you can make the yacht club info a clickable link by just copying and pasting the url for your marina from the web into the data field on your boat on the owners map

Dolce_Vita

• P323
    • View Profile
    • S/V Dolce Vita
« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2013, 12:12:40 PM »
Nice work on the map!  I can add a nav link to the website but we may want to experiment/test the map features a bit more first. It looks like we have a good group of early adopters to test things out....     

I agree.  I'm particularly concerned that there is wide-open write access.  That's practically an open invitation to get hacked or defaced.
Is there any way to restrict access to just the google accounts (e-mail addresses) of registered forum members?
@(^.^)@  Ed
with rebuilt Atomic-4

The Great Godsea

• P323
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2013, 01:18:33 PM »
there is a way to limit it. i believe we can set permissioning to only allow a specified list of users (i believe by email address) to have edit rights. but i dont know the overall list of owners to include in the list. i figured we dont want to discourage any boat owners from joining in...i was figuring we can change from an open format to permissioned format whenever we think we've got a good enough sized population. at least that was my rationale for setting it up to be open to all. but i'm happy to have it set up however the members would like it. open to all editing at this point.

Sea Haven

« Reply #26 on: September 28, 2013, 12:07:06 PM »
hey those are some great ideas! i'm hoping (fingers crossed) to make my first overnight run this weekend down to sandy hook/highlands. weather looks promising and its not getting any warmer so... i'm going to strike while the iron is hot.
perhaps next summer, once i'm a little less wet behind the ears, we'll take a stab at getting through hells gate out into the sound and maybe over to fire island... or even out to Newport?

Mark,

Sounds great!

Anytime you head east through Long Island Sound by Port Jefferson/Mt Sinai Hrbor and need to rest, you're more than welcome to raft up to SEA HAVEN in Mt Sinai and share my mooring for the night. I over sized my mooring so it's more than adequate if you need it as a storm shelter.

I did Hell's gate in an under powered Bristol 29.9 back in '04. If a 8900 lb boat with a 15 pony diesel can do it, you can. It's not as bad an issue with our boat, just a matter of favorable timing! That's what Navigators do, select the best time for a favorable passage.

My original post at this site (under NAUTILUS) referenced my concerns about boat power as I was looking at the 323. My transit in the Bristol from Bay Shore to Mt Sinai via the East River wasn't bad with the exception of 1.5kt SOG at 3AM going under the Verrazano-Narrows Bridge! Seemed to take hours fighting that tide. I was NEVER so bored in my life staring at that Toys-R-Us sign in Graves End for HOURS lol!!

Here is a GREAT site regarding the East River and Hells Gate The East River Passage
Print it out , put it in a binder using plastic sheet protectors and keep it at the Nav Station. Make sure you print out each individual current chart as well.

Also, if you haven't done so, join ACTIVE CAPTAIN and look for me (Sea Haven).
I have a COMPLETE listing of waypoints and routes completely around Long Island (including the Great South Bay) to Block Island, Long Island sound incluing Connecticut, Thames and Mystic Rivers, NY Metro sector including Staten Island and as far north up the Hudson to Poughkeepsie. I can also send you GPX files of the lot for your NAV Software if it accepts that format.

Finally, I'm meeting the "other" Ed, "Dolce Vita", at the United States Sailboat Show Annapolis MA on Saturday October 12th. Take the day trip and come join us a we speak everything "323" and look for goodies to buy or dream about!

Regardless, I do hope we get to meet up and perhaps take both boats as far east as we can get...Block Island....Newport...New Bedford....Nantucket.

V/R
"Sub" Ed
« Last Edit: September 28, 2013, 12:10:37 PM by Sea Haven »

The Great Godsea

• P323
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 30, 2013, 05:24:23 PM »
that all sounds great. very excited for next season!

The Great Godsea

• P323
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 11, 2013, 04:17:24 PM »
any idea if theres a way to get the link to the owners map added to the home page to increase awareness? i tried webmaster but it doesn't really have a usable email address.

Captain Bri

• Brian
  • Ensign
  • Sailmaker
    • View Profile
    • RedSkySails.com
  • Model: Ensign
  • City: Anytown
  • State: Ct
« Reply #29 on: October 15, 2013, 10:26:52 AM »
I added a link to the map on the boat registry page you can see here, and specified it as a prototype.  In my opinion with an unsecured/open tool such as this on the internet it is only a matter of time before it is hacked into and vandalized, causing data integrity issues. I think that some type of authentication scheme should be developed before a lot of data is stored here.  I would also like to see us avoid duplicating data that is stored in the registry, perhaps a scheme can be developed to keep them in sync.  I think that the owners registry database fields could be imported into the map data fields -- with these we would only need to update information in one place... but more research is necessary.   

My quote from a previous post:
Nice work on the map!  I can add a nav link to the website but we may want to experiment/test the map features a bit more first. It looks like we have a good group of early adopters to test things out. For example we can define new "standard" data fields that we think would be useful and use the titles to provide guidelines on what information to enter.  As an example I added a column for Yacht Club/Marina to see if people like it.     

Also each page on the site has a footer with a link "contact us" to email the webmaster.  I changed it to "contact webmaster" for clarity, thanks for the feedback!

« Last Edit: October 15, 2013, 10:30:13 AM by SeaFever »
Men and Ships; Rot in Port