Author Topic: National Sail and Far East Sail  (Read 9180 times)

Eddy

• P323
  • P323 Enthusiast
    • View Profile
  • Model: P323
National Sail and Far East Sail
« on: September 07, 2012, 10:14:25 AM »
Has anyone used either of these outifts for sails? I emailed both for a quote on a replacement main and the prices are significantly lower than what the local sail makers quoted.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2013, 02:30:18 AM by SeaFever »

Chelsea

• P323
    • View Profile
  • Vessel Name: Chelsea
  • City: Muskegon
  • State: MI
Re: National Sail and Far East Sail
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2012, 10:08:48 AM »
Hello Eddy,
I have just purchased a new main from FX sails and am very satisfied with performance and construction.  It was about three weeks for manufacture and delivery.  Fits well, sails great but I did have to add lazy jacks to single hand the new sail as it sure has more life then the old baggy one...
Lauri
s/v Chelsea

Eddy

• P323
  • P323 Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2012, 11:27:21 AM »
Mine existing one is serviceable but I'd like to replace it with a modern design. Can you tell me the specifics of the sail you purchased? Rolly Tasker gave me a quote on a new main with the offshore reinforcements. These are the features it would come with; Custom built in 7.3oz dacron to the dimensions we have on file, luff 36', foot 10.75', with top 2 battens full and 2 reefs. The offshore version, which includes heavier reinforcements, extra stitching and alloy headboard. Sail comes standard with leech line with clam cleats at reefs and clew, tell tales, flo-stripes, sail battens and sail bag. Current delivery time is 3 to 4 weeks from confirmation of order. Is this similar to what you got?

Libations Too

• P323
    • View Profile
  • City: Berkelely, CA
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2012, 11:06:17 AM »
FWIW, if the boat will actually be cruised "off shore" or on extended coastal passages I would add a third reef point as one of the off shore options that should be included in both construction/reinforcement considerations and pricing evaluation. Such a design for the main is probably somewhat dependent on how the boat is crewed, the experience level of crew and skipper, other storm sail provisions, etc. but is something that I think should be included in the evaluation/selection process.
Richard

Eddy

• P323
  • P323 Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2012, 11:25:40 AM »
I will ask them about the 3rd reef point. How do you have the 3rd reef setup on the boom? What about the 2 lower battens standard is partial any thoughts on full battens in those two positions? Experience of crew and skipper is very little we just purchased in February and it is our first sailboat. We do intend to do some offshore passages but need to build skills and experience before we step up. Thanks for the advice.

Libations Too

• P323
    • View Profile
  • City: Berkelely, CA
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2012, 12:02:48 PM »
Eddy...my third reef attachment for the clew is quite simple: a cheek block positioned slightly aft of the 3rd reef clew (very similar to those for the first and second reef points) and a reef line that I simply tie around the boom with a bowline. A brief description of my setup can be found here: http://rollinscs.com/boatpages/projects3page.htm  I also needed to add another cleat near the gooseneck to secure the reef line.

My main is a loose-footed main so it is easy to tie the reef line to the boom. I only rig the reef line when I am headed off shore so there is little worry about chafing that may be caused by the little used reef line. The battens in my main are both located above the 3rd reef point so there is no conflict.

I really don't know the conditions in which you will be sailing but I can relate my experience to you when I was in your situation. Libations was my first displacement boat and winds here in San Francisco Bay are routinely in the mid to high 20 knots. At first, the prospect of rounding up and loosing control in high winds or gusts was quite intimidating to me. As I learned to depower my rig I gained confidence in both the boat and my ability to handle her. Learning to reef, having the proper reefing setup, and knowing that I was prepared for nearly any wind that I might encounter all contributed greatly to my enjoyment of the boat. And on the few times that I actually used the 3rd reef, I was very happy that it was there.

Perhaps a 3rd reef for you and your expected sailing conditions is overkill at first and, if needed, it can always be added later. But, based on my experience, it is something that you might consider as you add a new main sail.
Richard