Author Topic: Where is your starter battery?  (Read 7384 times)

selene

• P323
  • Mighty Member
    • View Profile
  • Model: P323
  • Vessel Name: Selene
  • City: Redwood City
  • State: CA
Where is your starter battery?
« on: August 29, 2012, 11:46:38 AM »
I am considering adding a starter battery to the standard 2-house configuration, to give me more flexibility and prolong the life of the house bank.

If you have a separate starter battery, where is it located?

In a neighbours' 323, the PO had reworked the stbd lazarette, putting the plumbing above the water heater, and the starter batter beside the heater next to the motor.  Another option would be to leave the plumbing as-is, and build a separate platform next to the boiler for the battery.  I have even heard rumours of a starter located on the port lazarette, beside the house bank, but that seems like a long cable run for high amperage.....

Anyway, just noodling on it, and would appreciate any thoughts.

GusF16

• P323
    • View Profile
  • City: Gulfport, MS
Re: Where is your starter battery?
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2012, 12:34:32 PM »
Mine is in the port lazarette next to the house batteries, along with a combiner between house bank and starter battery.

Ryan

Dolce_Vita

• P323
    • View Profile
    • S/V Dolce Vita
  • Vessel Name: Dolce Vita
  • City: Pasadena
  • State: MD
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2012, 05:29:03 PM »
Mine is also in the port lazarette next to the house batteries, but I'm considering moving it to the stbd side, as there too many heavy things (batteries, icebox, stove, refrigeration compressor) on the port side and the boat has a definite list to port.
@(^.^)@  Ed
1977 P-323 #42 "Dolce Vita"
with rebuilt Atomic-4

SvQuest

• P323
  • Pearson Yacht Enthusiast
    • View Profile
  • Vessel Name: Quest
  • City: Seattle
  • State: WA
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2018, 05:57:43 PM »
Sorry to wake the dead here, but this is a project I really want to accomplish asap.  I've though about putting the battery next to the house bank but would really like to mount it on the starboard side somewhere.   My lazerette is sealed and I have a quarter berth under it. Under the quarter berth is a compartment but it currently houses my charger.   Plz helppp.