Author Topic: Wash down system  (Read 8797 times)

Eddy

• P323
  • P323 Enthusiast
    • View Profile
  • Model: P323
Wash down system
« on: June 11, 2012, 09:09:52 AM »
I was wondering if anyone has installed a salt water wash down system on their boat? I've got a washdown kit and was wondering where other folks had installed the components. I was thinking of using the head intake for inlet to pump. I don't believe I have enough room in the v berth for the pump. Any advice or information is appreciated. Thanks.

Rusty Pelican

• P323
  • http://rustypelican.blogspot.com/
    • View Profile
  • Vessel Name: Rusty Pelican
  • City: Hingham
  • State: MA
Re: Wash down system
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2012, 10:18:51 AM »
Do yourself a favor by not using salt water.  I installed a salt water wash down kit (sureflo) against the advise of Sureflo.
I plumbed the pump off of the head intake.
I installed the pump on the bulkhead in the head behind the swing out sink. The swing out sink has a void, where the pump can enter when the sink is in it's closed position.  Measure carefully. 
The pump can handle salt water, the problem is when the water drys you are left with an amazing amount if really fine salt crystals every where.  Really only good for washing the anchor and chain. What a pain in the neck.
One season was enough, it's now plumbed to the starboard fresh water tank
For easy of use I installed a gate valve in the anchor locker and attached a 50ft curly hose.
Can wash down any part of the boat.  When we are cruising the cockpit gets a wash down every night.
On hot days we use the mist setting on the nozzle to cool down
Just be careful about the water usage, and you'll be fine
Good Luck

Eddy

• P323
  • P323 Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2012, 12:48:20 PM »
That is good information. The primary reason was for the anchor washdown really nasty mud in the two places we've anchored so far. Would it be worth it to plumb it for both fresh and salt water? Thank you for the information it is greatly appreciated.

Dolce_Vita

• P323
    • View Profile
    • S/V Dolce Vita
  • Vessel Name: Dolce Vita
  • City: Pasadena
  • State: MD
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2012, 03:08:13 PM »
If you plumb your washdown for both fresh & salt, be VERY careful to install check valves so you don't accidentaly contaminate your freshwater supply with saltwater!
@(^.^)@  Ed
1977 P-323 #42 "Dolce Vita"
with rebuilt Atomic-4

Dolce_Vita

• P323
    • View Profile
    • S/V Dolce Vita
  • Vessel Name: Dolce Vita
  • City: Pasadena
  • State: MD
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2014, 11:17:55 AM »
Just a bump to this thread.

I'm in the process of installing a salt-water fed anchor washdown pump. 

I settled on a location for the pump under the starboard-fwd storage bin under the settee.
This location helped reduce the length of the electrical run needed, and the size of the
wire needed (pump draws 16 amps!). It also provided easy access to the thruhull that
used to feed the head (we use fresh water there to reduce odors).
From there, I ran the nylon reinforced 3/4" hose
thru the existing hole in the bulkhead, behind the swingout sink, then up high behind the
cubby-hole shelves in the v-berth, to a deck fitting next to the anchor locker, just aft of the
stbd cleat. 

The wiring runs aft in the gap between the stbd water tank and the stringer,  past the
other settee storage bin, into the storage bin under the nav station seat, and thru
an existing hole in the bulkhead to end up in the stbd sail locker area, where all the DC
wiring is.

Not quite complete yet.  I'll post pictures when I get them.

Pump:            Johnson Aqua Jet 5.2 Washdown Pump  (72PSI, 5.2GPM)
                     http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?path=-1|51|2234226|2234235&id=337034
Deck Fitting:   Jabsco Flush Mount Deck Fitting
                     http://www.defender.com/product3.jsp?path=-1|51|2234222|2234225&id=828180
@(^.^)@  Ed
1977 P-323 #42 "Dolce Vita"
with rebuilt Atomic-4