Author Topic: Boom vang  (Read 9046 times)

Blue Spray

• P323
    • View Profile
  • Model: P323
  • Vessel Name: Blue Spray
  • City: Halifax, Nova Scotia
  • State: CN
Boom vang
« on: April 19, 2012, 08:53:22 AM »
My new to me 323 does not have a boom Vang and I was wondering how many other 323 do not have one.  I use the boom Vang as a important part of sail trim and I am considering adding one.  I purchased my 323 last September and only had her out two times and did not have the time to put her through paces. Any info will be greatly appreciated

Gerry 
« Last Edit: January 01, 2013, 02:43:26 AM by SeaFever »

selene

• P323
  • Mighty Member
    • View Profile
  • Vessel Name: Selene
  • City: Redwood City
  • State: CA
Re: Boom vang
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2012, 11:19:27 AM »
I have the same question.  My PO had one, but never rigged it; perhaps the weight of the boom is sufficient in most situations?  However I reinstalled it, and found it useful keeping a good sail shape when going downwind in heavier winds (20knots+).  I am considering replacing it with a Garhauer rigid vang, as in http://www.pearson323.com/projects/vang.pdf.  So I also would appreciate feedback from more experienced owners!

Dolce_Vita

• P323
    • View Profile
    • S/V Dolce Vita
  • Vessel Name: Dolce Vita
  • City: Pasadena
  • State: MD
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2012, 05:22:54 PM »
If you go with the rigid vang, you should consider pulling and reversing the main cabin's deck hatch, as it will be unable to be opened.
@(^.^)@  Ed
1977 P-323 #42 "Dolce Vita"
with rebuilt Atomic-4

Chelsea

• P323
    • View Profile
  • Vessel Name: Chelsea
  • City: Muskegon
  • State: MI
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2012, 01:04:50 PM »
Ed,
When reversing the main cabin hatch what difficulties would I expect to encounter ?  I have thought of that for general airflow as well as in anticipation of adding a boom vang.
Thank
Lauri
s/v Chelsea

Dolce_Vita

• P323
    • View Profile
    • S/V Dolce Vita
  • Vessel Name: Dolce Vita
  • City: Pasadena
  • State: MD
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2012, 06:11:50 PM »
Lauri,

If you have the original hatches, they were installed with ordinary household silicone for bedding.  Silicone contains some oils that tend to penetrate the fiberglass & gelcoat, rendering it difficult/impossible to get good adhesion with other sealants.  The good news is that there is no exposed deck core, so you won't have to deal with a rotten core.

My recommendation is to stay with a silicone, but use a commercial grade construction silicione such as Dow Corning 795.  Ordinary silicone has great flexibility, but almost no adhesion strength.  Thermal expansion and contraction quickly breaks the seal, eventually resulting in leaks.  DC795 has both flexibility AND substantial adhesion.  Its used as the sole glazing material to hold in plate glass windows on hi-rise buildings.  It does require about a week to fully set up, and should not be stressed before that time.  I used it on my hatch rebuild project and it worked great.
@(^.^)@  Ed
1977 P-323 #42 "Dolce Vita"
with rebuilt Atomic-4

selene

• P323
  • Mighty Member
    • View Profile
  • Vessel Name: Selene
  • City: Redwood City
  • State: CA
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2012, 09:35:10 PM »
Personally I used butyl tape, after reading articles such as this one: http://www.pbase.com/mainecruising/rebedding_hardware. Adhesion and flexibility - I am increasingly using it for bedding. Silicon caulking also works fine.

It's only been a couple of years, but seems to work well.  BTW, reversing the main cabin's hatch was an easy job, and personally I prefer it that way.  Catches the wind from either direction, and can often be left open when underway without catching spray!