Author Topic: Help with water tank replacement  (Read 7620 times)

roadrunnersid

• P323
  • P323 Enthusiast
    • View Profile
  • Model: P323
  • City: St. Petersburg, FL
Help with water tank replacement
« on: April 17, 2012, 01:52:29 PM »
Hello Everyone,

I just found out that my port water tank is leaking  :'( and it is not any of the hoses.... it looks like I have to cut out a lot of fiberglass to change out my tanks....has anyone already replaced their port and starboard tanks yet???? I am trying to figure out the best way to get them out....hopefully find a place here in Tampa Bay to make new ones....reinstall them.... (here is my major dilemma) rebuilding the fiberglass support over the tanks (I have no experience with fiberglass) sure I  have a few inventive ways in my mind on how to redo it....Danger Will Robinson!!!  ;D I just wanted to reach out there and see if anyone has pictures of their experience with the water tanks.....

Thanks,

Sid

Blue Spray

• P323
    • View Profile
  • Vessel Name: Blue Spray
  • City: Halifax, Nova Scotia
  • State: CN
Re: Help with water tank replacement
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2012, 08:15:01 AM »
Hi Sid
You might want to check out this site by Dan Pfeiffer on the Pearson 10 meter not exactly the same but very close to our 323's, he has done a lot of mods I think including water tanks. http://dan.pfeiffer.net/10m/10m.htm

Gerry Blackwood
Blue Spray hull number 135
Halifax, Nova Scotia

roadrunnersid

• P323
  • P323 Enthusiast
    • View Profile
  • City: St. Petersburg, FL
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2012, 03:12:30 PM »
Hi Gerry,

Thank you for the reply....I looked at the site that you recommended and it appears that he just cut out the fiberglass tank. Because the 323 has solid fiberglass over the tanks that will need to be cut out, I am really looking for some ideas about how to replace the fiberglass reinforcement over the tanks. Like I said I have no experience with fiberglass nor do I know how to rebuild it after I cut it out.....with that being said....I was hoping someone had already replaced theirs and could share some incite on the best and easiest way to do the job. Thanks again though!

Sid Longo
S&M, Hull #203
St. Petersburg, FL

selene

• P323
  • Mighty Member
    • View Profile
  • Vessel Name: Selene
  • City: Redwood City
  • State: CA
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2012, 10:30:59 PM »
I have not had replace my water tanks, but I have done a fair amount of fiberglassing on a wide range of boats, and can tell you that fibreglass is very easy to use and very forgiving.  One of the great advantages is of fiberglass is that, although you may cut holes in it, follow a few basic rules and you can repair almost anything back to its original strength.  Alternatively - I have seen this when engines are being replaced and squeezed through the space under the companionway -  you can repair the cuts by simply bolting a backing plate over the area - not as strong or elegant, but quick.

The catch in your case is that you probably don't want to mess up too much of the gelcoat...there are many ways to approach it...one option would be to glue and encapsulate some plywood underneath (thicken the epoxy with carbosil or similar to ensure you fill all voids), and then cover that with 'glass, to form a "core" to provide great strength and rigidity over the cuts.

You may want to get a copy of "this old boat" (library?), which will give you the basic techniques of fiberglassing; and then get some practice on something!