Author Topic: Another new owner  (Read 25139 times)

Dolce_Vita

• P323
    • View Profile
    • S/V Dolce Vita
  • Model: P323
  • Vessel Name: Dolce Vita
  • City: Pasadena
  • State: MD
Re: Another new owner
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2012, 12:03:15 AM »
Eddie, the chain plates are easy to remove and inspect. ... I have a lot of pictures of the inside when gutted. I had everything out I could get out without destroying it. If you have a need for knowing what's behind something removable I may be able to help.

Geoff,

I'm curious about the chainplates.  Are they all the same size?  And just straight bar stock, with no bends?

I've got this half-baked idea going in the back of my head to replace mine with ones fabricated from Titanium.
It's such a great material for this application.  Strong, light, corrosion-resistant, and not subject to crevice corrosion (like SS) in a wet, oxygen-deprived environment.

Mine are original, and are due for an inspection.  No signs of rusty leakage below on any of them, but one of the aft ones is in a region of the deck that showed elevated moisture, and this worries me.

Now. if only I can find someone to fabricate them for a reasonable price! :)
@(^.^)@  Ed
1977 P-323 #42 "Dolce Vita"
with rebuilt Atomic-4

AnaMeg

• P323
    • View Profile
  • Vessel Name: AnaMeg
  • City: Superior
  • State: WI
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2012, 12:17:47 PM »
I thought I had pictures, but of the 100s I took, I can't find any of the chainplates. Yes, they are straight, no bends. I think the middle one has 4 bolt  holes and the fore and aft only 3. If so, they are all of the same bar stock but not all the same length. Mine looked great when I pulled them. The wood core at their exit slot looked and felt good. I did not have them x rayed or ultra sounded because they looked so good and because everything on this boat seems designed at twice the necessary strength. Also because the nearest place was 3 hrs away and expensive.

I recall on removing the chainplates that I thought if I planned on crossing an ocean I would want to beaf up the mounting tabs. They were 3/4" ply with fiberglass tabbing to the hull. i.e the same thickness of the SS plates but not as strong. But I'm not going to cross an ocean.

I won't be back to the boat until late April so can't be of much more help. (4 hours away)

Geoff

Chelsea

• P323
    • View Profile
  • Vessel Name: Chelsea
  • City: Muskegon
  • State: MI
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2012, 08:36:14 PM »
Thank you both for the measurements. Now which fridge unit???  I'm researching that one.
s/v Chelsea

Eddy

• P323
  • P323 Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2012, 07:28:35 AM »
Our boat came with the Adler Barbour unit in it. It works very well so far no issues. Let us know what you end up getting.